Today, we got up and had breakfast at the hotel buffet – what is it with Americans and sweet things for breakfast? At 9 am we caught the bus from outside the hotel, to Manhattan. The trip took only 15 mins and was very easy. We then went to Times Square as the girls really wanted to see it. We spent about an hour there and then we walked down to the Empire State building. It was quite cloudy over the city, so the view was not perfect, but it was still worth the visit.

After this, we took the subway to Lower Manhattan and went to Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty. Unfortunately, the cloud was such that the view was quite poor, so we decided to get a closer look and go across on the ferry. Once we got to the island the weather was great – the cloud cleared and with the warmth, it was really lovely. We had dinner in the restaurant and then we all went off to take pics etc.

After about two hours on the island, we returned to Manhattan and walked up to Ground Zero. We had last been there in 2004, so were eager to see how it had changed. The girls had not been there before, so it was all new to them. We walked all around the area, and along one fence, a lot of pictures had been added with a history of that fateful day. It is an incredibly moving area and even the girls began to appreciate the hugeness of the event that took place.

After paying our respects, we walked down to the Seaport area to go to the Bodies exhibition. This is where actual human bodies are used as exhibits. We were not sure what to expect, but it was really interesting. You could say it was gory, but it really wasn’t. It is divided into sections such as circulation, birth, bones etc and it really explains how the human body is put together. It is truly amazing and well worth a visit. Hopefully, the disgusting effects on the human lungs of a smoker will put the girls off smoking, but I doubt it.

We then went to the riverside area and went to the Pier shopping area where the girls went off to spend some more money, whilst us oldies sat and chilled on the bench. We then walked back to the subway and travelled back to Times Square. We separated from the girls who wanted to go their own way and had a bite to eat at a local cafĂ©, then made our way back to the hotel. We had been told to catch a number 163 bus, but when we tried to board we were told it did not stop at our stop. We then had to join another long queue for another bus. Trouble was, once on it, we didn’t realize you had to press a button to get the bus to stop and we watched out hotel pass by. We eventually got off the bus and had to walk about half a mile back to the hotel. We are back there now, but worrying if the girls are going to manage to get back ok.